Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Denver Personal Injury Attorney
- In 2008, over 5,200 motorcyclists were killed in accidents across the United States—-in 1998, there were only 2,294.
- Overall, there were 96,000 motorcyclists injured in 2008.
- The number of motorcycle fatalities has been increasing steadily every year for over a decade.
- In Colorado, there were 88 motorcyclists killed in 2008—of these 30% were driving impaired with a Blood Alcohol Content of >0.08.
- In 2008, 67% of all motorcyclists killed in Colorado were not wearing a helmet.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that in 2008 alone, 1,829 motorcyclists are alive today because they were wearing a motorcycle helmet at the time of their accident.
- In 2006, 752 motorcyclists could have been saved if they had been wearing their helmets.
- Motorcycle helmets are 37% more effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists and 41% more effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle passengers.
- States that have universal helmet laws have a much higher percentage of helmeted motorcyclists (86%) compared with states that did not (55%).
- Helmet use increased to 61% in the Northeast.
- Motorcyclists are 37 times more likely than car drivers to die in an accident and 9 times more likely to be injured (per vehicle mile traveled).
- In 2008, 25% of all fatal motorcycle accidents were single motorcycle crashes with fixed objects.
- In 2008, 41% of all motorcycle crashes with another vehicle occurred when the other vehicle was turning left and failed to notice the motorcyclist coming.
- In accidents involving two vehicles, motorcyclists were struck in the front 77% of the time.
- When riding a motorcycle, never ride in between cars or trucks even if it is permissible in your area.
- Approximately 137,000 motorcyclists died between 1966 and 2006.