The 7 Safest Used Cars for Budding Drivers
When your teen begins driving, it’s only natural to want to get them the safest car available. Especially when you consider that three times more teenage drivers die in car accidents than any other age motorist. To help with the monumental task of choosing, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
has developed a list of the safest used cars for budding drivers.
With the widespread addition of mandatory safety features on vehicles over the last decade, it is easier than ever to get your teen a safe car without braking the bank.
One of the must-have safety features for teen drivers is electronic stability control. This feature, mandatory since 2012, allows drivers to keep control of the vehicle even while navigating slick roads or treacherous curves. All the automobiles on the IHHS list have stability control.
Price-conscious parents will like that all IIHS recommended cars are less than $20,000, with some priced much lower. According to an IIHS survey, $9,800 is the average amount paid for vehicles intended for teen drivers. With a median price of only $5,300 being paid, the senior vice-president for research at IIHS encourages parents to spend a little more for safety if possible.
Further Reading: 5 Apps to Help You Avoid a Distracted Driving Accident
The Institute’s list is two-tiered; the first list, dubbed “best choices,” includes front, side and rollover crash test top performers. The second list includes less expensive vehicles that are “good choices” even though they scored slightly lower on performance tests.
Other tips the IIHS has to offer car-shopping parents, include avoiding high-horsepower models that can be tempting to novice drivers and, instead opting for larger and heavier vehicles such as pickups and SUVs.
Here, we’ve selected one good-value recommendation for each of the categories included by the IIHS. Seven models include:
- 2012 Honda Accord. Reviewers surveyed by U.S. News place the Accord among the highest-rated mid-size cars. Priced at $10,900, it boasts precise handling and a roomy interior.
- 2007 Volvo S80. Always a leader in safety technology, Volvo promoted this large car model priced at $5,800 as top-of-the-line and roomy.
- 2009 Subaru Forester. This all-wheel drive small SUV is the epitome of practicality and safety. Given the popularity of SUVs, the Forester, priced at $9,000, just might please your teen as well.
- 2011 Kia Sorento. This mid-size SUV is especially noted for its comfy ride and excellent gas mileage. Priced at $12,300, it has some teen-friendly extras such as USB ports and Bluetooth connectivity.
- 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. A large SUV with plenty of room for passengers and cargo. Priced at $13,500, it’s also heavy enough to handle a crash with smaller vehicles.
- 2011 Honda Odyssey. A minivan might be a tougher sell on your teen, but at $13,600, the Odyssey could do double duty as a family vehicle that occasionally gets driven by your teen.
- 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab. The large size and spacious interior make this pickup a good choice for teens. Opt for the 6-cylinder version priced at $12,200 for better gas mileage and just the right amount of power.
The Importance of Legal Help Following Your Auto Accident
It cannot be stressed enough that the outcome of your teenager’ accident may be devastating – and your child’s injuries may be severe. If you speak to a knowledgeable Denver car accident attorney
as soon as possible, your attorney can help you protect your child’s right to seek compensation. Further, your injury attorney can take care of the legal aspect of your child’s accident, giving you the time you need to help your child recover.
Contact Our Denver Car Accident Attorneys
If your child is injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, it is important to know that the law is on your side. Unfortunately, insurance companies know this as well – and they will seek to minimize your claim and reduce their own liabilities by offering you a “take it or leave it” low-ball settlement. Contact the Denver Law Firm of John R. Fuller, P.C.
today at 303-597-4500
for a free initial consultation.