[…] you lost a loved one in a tragic car accident? Contact a dedicated Denver wrongful death attorney today to discuss your […]
How to Avoid a Pedestrian Accident
Denver and Aurora Personal Injury AttorneyEvery year 100,000 pedestrians are injured in motor vehicle accidents. Even though vehicles are legally required to yield to pedestrians who are obeying traffic signals and using designated crosswalks, accidents still occur. Unfortunately when a pedestrian is involved in car accident, the results can be catastrophic. Injuries are usually severe and life threatening and in 2008, 4,378 pedestrians lost their lives. In order to avoid dangerous accidents and injuries, safety experts urge pedestrians to follow certain safety rules:
- When crossing a street or intersection, always cross in a cross walk
- Before crossing a street, always wait for the “walk” signal
- Before crossing at a crosswalk, be sure to look both ways to make sure there aren’t any cars still traveling or making a turn.
- Even if you have a walk signal, always assume the driver is not going to yield.
- Use sidewalks at all times and know and obey all safety rules.
- Always be alert when you are crossing a street. Do not be distracted by headsets, cell phones, etc.
While pedestrians can do their part to avoid accidents and serious injuries, drivers also have a responsibility to ensure the safety of those around them. If you or someone you love has been involved in a pedestrian/vehicle accident, it is important to contact a Colorado automobile attorney immediately. Insurance companies will often try to negotiate a quick settlement after a pedestrian accident. Unfortunately, these settlements are usually a fraction of what you may need after a catastrophic accident and are generally designed to limit their liability. Before you sign any documents, contact a Colorado personal injury attorney immediately to review your case. Pedestrian accidents can often leave victims with severe and permanent disabilities. As such, you will need an experienced Colorado personal injury attorney who understands these complications and who will aggressively pursue your case.