John R. Fuller P.C.

1736 Race Street
Denver, CO 80206

(303) 597-4500

Government Owned Vehicle Accidents

Going Up Against the State | Denver Car Accident Lawyer

When you are injured in a car accident, it is only natural to focus your energy and your attention towards your recovery. While you may not want rush into legal action, if you were involved in an accident with a government employee, you may have no choice. You have as little as 6 months to begin the claims process or you may no longer be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. It is not so simple to sue a government entity for damages, as opposed to an ordinary citizen. In many instances, the government is protected from suit under the cloud of governmental, or sovereign, immunity, meaning that the government cannot be sued, regardless of the injuries it and its employees may have caused someone. There are, however, some exceptions to governmental immunity where a citizen is allowed to sue the government. Personal injury accidents, such as vehicle accidents, fall under that exception.

Filing a Vehicle Accident Claim against the Government

If you have been injured in a car accident involving a government vehicle and/or a government employee during the course of his governmental duties, there is a special procedure that is required before you can proceed with a lawsuit. You must file an administrative claim with the proper governmental entity within a specific time frame. In the State of Colorado, you have 180 days to file your administrative claim. If you fail to do so, you will be barred from suing for damages in a court of law. If you file a claim and it is denied by the government, you may then file a lawsuit in the appropriate court and seek compensation for your injuries.

An experienced Colorado personal injury attorney is well-versed in the required procedures and time limitations involved in filing administrative claims with the government. Seeking legal representation will protect your claims against the government for negligent conduct. In addition, your Colorado personal injury attorney will be able to seek the compensation you deserve after a serious accident.

Contact a Denver and Aurora Injury Attorney

If you have been injured in a car accident, contact Denver car accident lawyer John R. Fuller today. The Denver personal injury attorney you select often makes the difference between a settlement that favors the insurance company and a settlement or verdict that is fair and meets your needs. Our Colorado personal injury law firm has the experience to know when our clients are being treated fairly and will respond accordingly. Contact John R. Fuller, P.C., for a free initial consultation to discuss your case. We’re available 24/7 by phone, fax and e-mail. We return after-hours calls promptly, and provide interpreters for our Spanish-speaking clients. Bookmark and Share