John R. Fuller P.C.

1736 Race Street
Denver, CO 80206

(303) 597-4500

Car & Auto Accident Lawyer in Denver

If you or someone you love has been injured in a Colorado traffic collision, please contact Fuller Law, a skilled accident attorney in Denver.  Fuller Law is dedicated to working diligently through the facts of your car accident lawsuit and helping you receive the compensation you deserve. Fuller Law’s auto accident lawyer in Denver will guide you step-by-step through the complicated process of putting your life back together again after an accident.

It is very important to act quickly and wisely immediately after a traffic accident — so we hope you will contact our car accident attorney in Denver as soon as possible. Fuller Law helps accident victims focus on their health and recovery. We do this by taking over the complicated legal process, giving accident victims a fair chance at receiving the compensation they need to restore their lives to normalcy.

Fuller Law helps ensure evidence and statements are gathered; that insurance companies are contacted, managed and negotiated with appropriately; and that our clients’ injuries are fully documented. Choosing Fuller Law in Denver, Colorado to guide you through your motor vehicle accident lawsuit can alleviate the insecurities you may feel, so you can receive the compensation that you will need for a full recovery.

Why you need an auto accident attorney in Denver

Of the over 6 million annual passenger car crashes, nearly half result in injuries to the victims. Passenger cars make up the largest portion of vehicles on the road, at 93 percent. They are also unsurprisingly involved in 96% of auto accidents. Passenger cars are also involved in 78% of fatal car crashes, making them the leading cause of death in 16-24 year-olds in the US. Many reasons for a car accident boil down to driver negligence. Especially in a growing metropolis such as Denver, auto accidents require an attorney to help make sure victims get all they deserve.

Questions About Car Wrecks and Lawyers in Denver?

What are the major causes of car accidents in Denver that require a lawsuit? Motor vehicle accidents come in many forms and commonly involve factors — such as commercial vehicle operation, governmental immunity, pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists, each having special legal significance. If you or a family member are victims of someone else’s negligence, it is very important that you choose a knowledgeable motor vehicle lawyer within Denver who can help you understand how the process of establishing and pursuing a legal claim is supposed to work. We hope this cursory guide will help you get started in the right direction.

What do I need to know about damages?

Colorado is a “fault state.” This means the driver at fault of the accident is responsible for all the damages caused by his or her negligence. There are various types of damages falling into three main categories:

Property Damage: Property damage refers to the damage done to your vehicle. Typically, property damage will get resolved well before any claims for injury are settled.

Economic Damages: These are damages resulting from personal injuries. Economic damages include items that can be quantified in dollars. Examples include medical expenses, wage losses and anything else that can be easily reduced to a dollar figure.

Noneconomic Damages: These are damages also resulting from personal injuries. Noneconomic damages are the intangible losses often representing the greatest losses a client will suffer. This is the classic “pain and suffering” you typically hear about. Quantifying noneconomic damages is difficult, but important. Our motor vehicle lawyer in Denver focuses on learning about all the impacts suffered by our clients and translating those impacts into compensation.

How do I prepare for an accident?

Start by being prepared for the possibility that you will be in an accident.

First, even if you own your car free and clear, know that carrying only liability insurance may be a mistake. One of the most important types of coverage is Medical Payments Coverage, or Medpay for short. In 2009, the State of Colorado made Medpay a mandatory coverage — but it also left open the possibility that a party could waive this coverage. DO NOT EVER WAIVE MEDPAY, which covers each person in your car regardless of who is at fault for an accident. Even if you have great health insurance coverage, Medpay insurance coverage can be used for co-pays and deductibles. And consider this: Even if you have that great coverage, one of your passengers may not. If your insurance agent recommends that you waive Medpay, get a new agent.

Second, we recommend purchasing coverage for uninsured and underinsured drivers. This is the single most important factor that will help you address what could be outright tragedy if you are hit by a driver with little or no insurance. As many as 1 in 3 Colorado drivers is uninsured. Think about that. If you are stopped at a traffic light and know you have insurance, chances are that the drivers to your left or right do not. We at Fuller Law also frequently find that even drivers who present a valid insurance card at the scene of an accident actually do not have valid insurance policies. As Denver’s acclaimed car accident attorney, John Fuller encourages you to please protect you and your family by purchasing adequate insurance.

I just had an accident. What do I do now?

We know it is easier said than done, but in the event of an accident, try to assess your situation calmly. If injuries require emergency attention, those obviously need to be your priority. However, if you are able, there are some steps you could take to help you avoid problems that frequently come up later for people making legal claims. Here are some suggestions from Denver’s car accident lawyers;


  1. Take a picture of the scene of the accident. Capture images of all vehicles involved and the other driver(s). After the vehicles are moved, the only source of information will be the police report. Our firm has seen many mistakes made by officers who tried to recreate an accident based on the statements of drivers and witnesses. Do not assume police officers will get all the facts or describe the accident accurately. Sometimes, even the identity of a driver becomes an issue later. With a photo from the scene of an accident, important questions are more likely to be answered, and discrepancies in accident reports more likely to be avoided.
  2. If there are witnesses, take their phone number. Our clients often mention an accident witness who stopped to help. However, we also commonly find that even if that witness talked to a police officer, there is no record of the person’s identity.
  3. Get medical attention. Victims of vehicle accidents frequently do not realize the full extent of their injuries for many hours, if not days. While there may be no reason for an accident victim to go to a hospital emergency room, most people would benefit from a checkup by their primary care physician or at an urgent-care facility.

What should I do about my damaged car?
If you still can drive your car, obtain an estimate of the damages from a repair facility of your choice. Many times, an insurance company will try to “recommend” a body shop. You have no obligation to use a shop suggested by the insurance company.

If your car cannot be driven, you need to act quickly. Contact the “at-fault driver’s” insurance company about how to move your vehicle as soon as possible. Know that companies make a lot of money by storing vehicles.

Do I have to give a recorded statement to another driver’s insurance company?

No. You don’t ever have to consent to a recorded statement by the other insurance company. In many cases, and particularly in cases of clear liability, there is no need to give a statement. Insurance companies try to use recorded statements to trick people into accepting a small portion of liability for causing the accident and to minimize client damages. If there is a legitimate dispute about liability, you should be extremely careful or consult with a qualified Denver auto accident lawyer before consenting to give such a statement.

What do I need to know about rental vehicles?

If your car cannot be driven or must be in the repair shop for several days, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is responsible for paying for your rental. You also may have purchased this coverage on your own insurance policy. However, you first should use the at-fault driver’s insurance company to secure a rental. In some cases, you may have to initiate the car rental and transfer the payment obligation to the at-fault driver’s insurance company after they accept liability for the accident.

My insurance company or theirs?

At the end of the day, the liable party’s insurance company will pay for your property damage. However, that does not mean you must go through that company. Drivers with full coverage are free to use their own insurance either to pay for repair or to replace a totaled vehicle. If you use your own insurance, you likely will be charged a deductible that is refunded by the other driver’s insurance company.

Will my rates go up if I choose to use my insurance to repair my vehicle?

If you are not at fault for the accident, your insurance company has no basis to raise your rates. If you use your insurance to pay for your property damage, your insurance company will be reimbursed by the other driver’s insurance company.

What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

It is an unfortunate reality is that there are many uninsured drivers on our roads. You need to protect yourself by having uninsured and/or underinsured coverage, also known as UM/UIM. This coverage kicks in to provide coverage for injuries caused by another driver’s negligence. If the other driver is covered, but not by enough insurance, this coverage “stacks” on top of their coverage. UM coverage applies to injuries, medical expenses, wage losses and pain and suffering, but not to the damage to your vehicle. Some insurance companies offer UM for property damage, but this should be considered only if you don’t already have comprehensive and collision coverage.

Will my rates go up if I use my UM/UIM coverage?

No. The only time you can use your UM/UIM coverage is when the other driver is at fault. Your insurance company cannot penalize you for using the coverage you bought.

If the other driver is at fault, will his or her insurance pay for my medical care?

Typically, no — at least, not up front. This is a common misperception important to clarify because we have seen our own clients turned over to collections agencies for nonpayment of their medical bills. The at-fault driver’s insurance company has only one duty, and that is to protect their insured client. That insurance company will not pay your bills as those bills are incurred. Even if you gave a hospital or doctor information about the other driver’s insurance, you eventually will get a bill because that insurance company did not pay. In Colorado, we commonly see clients who use their own medical payments coverage and their own health insurance to pay for accident-related care. At the end of their case, their carriers will sometimes be repaid. A car accident lawyer in Denver can help you get the compensation you’re entitled to. Clients who do not have health insurance either must self-pay for their medical care or sometimes may qualify to use medical-care-finance companies that will pay for treatment and wait until the end of the case to be repaid. As a Denver lawyer for car wrecks, we will do everything we can to get you the money you are owed for your injuries.

What do I do in the case of a hit and run in Denver and I don’t have a lawyer?

Did you know leaving the scene of an accident in Colorado comes with a mandatory revocation of your driver’s license? If you are involved in a hit and run, you’ll want an experienced hit and run attorney in Denver such as Fuller Law to help put your life together again. Often, perpetrators of hit and run accidents are uninsured, underinsured or are habitual traffic offenders. No one should have to deal with these complicated and stressful situations on their own. If you are injured in an accident in Denver, be sure a lawyer such as Fuller Law is on your side! Call us to get started on your road to recovery from a hit and run as soon as you can.

Not knowing the answers to these important questions can be intimidating. Insurance companies are ready, willing and able to take advantage of people who are apprehensive and unsure about how to proceed after an accident leading to personal injury.

As one of Denver’s leading litigators in motor vehicle accident lawsuits, we welcome questions may arise about your insurance companies and their policies. A thorough understanding of the details of your insurance and personal injury case can help for a fair, adequate settlement.

Reach Out to Denver’s Top Car Accident Attorneys

At John Fuller Law, we understand that when you become a victim of a car accident, it can result in the loss of not only your vehicle, but your time and money. Our Denver car wreck lawyers at Fuller Law continue to provide quality legal care to every motor vehicle accident victim. You need an experienced car accident lawyer in Denver to ensure you receive fair and legal treatment in the process.

Don’t be bullied around by your insurance company, face them head on with Fuller Law, an experienced auto accident attorney in Denver. John Fuller and his professional, assiduous team are not afraid to take on any insurance company to get you the financial compensation you deserve.

Let Fuller Law answer all your insurance questions and help you tackle your big insurance company.